Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Lost in Translation


I have to say that although I love Bill Murray (BFM! - KCCO), I did not like the movie Lost in Translation.

Living in a country where English is definitely not the first language can have some interesting moments.

I find that things don't always translate well and have found myself scratching my head a few times over some things I have seen.  I know there's websites out there that are devoted to this very issue, but hey, I have to write about something right?

Here are just a few of the things that have brightened my day while I'm trying to teach myself how to read Russian.

Here's a pic of my watch (it's a Pebble watch so I can change the watch face).   Bill Murray telling me the time :)

On the menu at a Chinese restaurant - I think maybe it was translated from Chinese to Russian to English...

Control knob on an oven. Not quite sure why these settings look like radiation symbols, maybe it's for Chicken Kiev?  (that's a reference to Chernobyl for the kids out there). 

Indian restaurant menu (no, we don't eat out that often).  Maybe supposed to be "TID-BITS"??

For the love of all that is holy, please tell me what "pulses" are!  I'm very disturbed by this one :)

Ingredients on a bottle of water - no wonder I was still thirsty after drinking this!

One day while trying to teach myself to read Russian, I was looking at my bus pass and read that it was good for both the auto bus and the trolley bus.  So, I decided to enter just the word bus into my handy English/Russian translator app...this is what it gave me for suggestions after typing in BUS (I have since learned that the Russian word should be "autobus".

1.) good to know that every culture has fun...
2.) again, every culture has a little fun...
3.) what exactly is a "psychedelicatessen"????
Maybe after visiting #2 and getting the munchies you feel like you're at #3?


No comments:

Post a Comment