Friday, September 20, 2013

Leftovers


No, I'm not talking about what's in the fridge currently...I'm talking about leftovers from the Soviet era and what the Russians left after the breakup of the Soviet Union.  

As I walk around Dushanbe, I am constantly wondering about what it was like during the Soviet years and I have the opportunity to see some of that former time for myself.

I am constantly looking for reminders of that bygone era and hope to capture some of it before technology and progress removes it forever.

  
Still in use today. 

Still being used. 

Elevator @ a hospital - hope you're well enough to climb the stairs. 

Soviet-era apartment buildings.



There are fountains all over the city. Some, like this one, are not turned on and I can only imagine what the city looked like when everything was flowing all the time. 

Wide sidewalks everywhere. 

And of course, the young are still helping the old. 

You can say what you like for progress and a changing world, but every day I see a young person giving a helping hand to someone older. Sometimes it's as small as giving up a seat on the bus, other times it's carrying groceries for someone they don't know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment